- 16 Apr 2018, 7-9pm: Reading and Discussion on Multilingual Writing, Multilingual Translation, with Antoine Cassar, hosted by Jen Calleja, at the British Library; event page here.
- 24 Apr 2018, 6.30-8.30pm: ‘Marcel Duchamp, The Blind Man, and New York Dada: Institutional Critique and Editorial Practices’, conversation with Mary Ann Caws David Joselit, and Thierry de Duve, at The Skylight Room, CUNY’s Center for the Humanities, New York. Event description here.
- 9 May 2018: Reading and conversation with Barry Schwabsky, John Yau, Diana Hamilton, Christopher Stackhouse, James Hoff, Matvei Yankelevich, for The Divine Joke, an exhibition inspired by The Blind Man, Anita Rogers Gallery, New York.
- 12 May 2018, NYC, venue tbc: work-in-progress performance of Emilia Galotti’s Colouring Book of Feelings, with Jocelyn Spaar, Corina Copp, Bridget Talone, and sculptural work by Simone Kearney.
- 15 May 2018, 6pm: opening of A Century of Little Magazines at Poets House, New York, fb event page here.
- Poets Theater and Performance Festival, University of Cambridge, 15-17 Jun 2018, co-curated with Lee Ann Brown and Tony Torn.
- 7 Jul 2018: Emilia Galotti’s Colouring Book of Feelings, performance, at Art Night London.
- 10 Jul 2018: Subsisters launch in Berlin, with Uljana Wolf, for the ‘Berlin New York = URBAN DICTIONARY‘ Festival. At Studio1 Bethanien.
- Summer 2018: London, Leeds, and NYC performances of Emilia Galotti’s Colouring Book of Feelings (the third piece in My Little Enlightenment Plays). Costumes by Ciara Phillips (nominated for the 2014 Turner Prize). New music by r. karim. With Vahni Capildeo, Nisha Ramayya, Corina Copp, Jocelyn Spaar, Erin Robinsong, Emma Stirling, et. al.
October 2018: commissioned performance for Life in Glass, an interdisciplinary research project, conference, and exhibition on reproduction and feminist art; co-hosted by the Department of Sociology and the New Hall Art collection.
- Summer/Fall 2018, date tbc: London and Berlin, performance with Raphael Sbrzesny
- Autumn 2018, 4pm: durational performance piece on the invisibility of the translator, with Jen Calleja, in the foyer of the British Library (duration: ca. 15-20 mins).
- Rapapuk 2 (Race & Poetry & Poetics in the UK), conference, co-organised by an international group of poets, researchers, and activists, 26-28 Oct 2018, details tbc.
Recent readings and performances include:
- 9 Mar 2018, 7.30pm: ‘Making Light: In the Temple of Formidable Hypotheses’, Performance for the exhibition Reality Machines, curated by Mara Polgovsky Ezcurra at CRASSH (Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities), Cambridge.
- 10 Mar 2018, 11.30am: translation panel with George Szirtes, Robin Kirkpatrick, Clare Pollard, and Jane Hughes, for the Magdalene College Festival of Change.
- 25 Jan 2018, 6.30pm,’Reading Fountain’, lecture performance for a special Dada event, at Experimental Center for the Humanities, NYU. RSVP
- 16 Jan 2018, 7-8pm: reading at Berl’s, Brooklyn, with Lucy Ives and Christian Hawkey.
- 12 Jan 2018, 6-8pm: Launch event for The Blind Man (UDP 2017) at Printed Matter, NYC. Event page here.
- 9 Dec 2017, 7pm/8pm: ‘Reading Fountain: A Lecture Performance in Two Parts’, for RA Lates: Rrose Sélavy’s Dada Extravaganza, Royal Academy of Arts
- 23 Nov 2017: Screening of Les Bijoux Indiscrets, or, Paper Tigers (abridged video), at Iklectik, London, as part of Xing the Line, with Paul Buck.
- 25 October 2017, 7-8pm: ‘My Little Enlightenment Plays: A Performance Lecture’, for the Cambridge Festival of Ideas, with an installation by Yates Norton, at the Judith E. Wilson Drama Studio, Cambridge English Faculty, 9 West Road. Video trailer and short interview about the lecture performance here.
- 29 Sep 2017: Les Bijoux Indiscrets, or, Paper Tigers, performance, Bold Tendencies, London, supported by a Cambridge Humanities Research Grant. Performed by Vahni Capildeo, Prudence Chamberlain, Adrianna Liedtke, Celine Lowenthal, Nisha Ramayya, Sophie Seita, and Emma Stirling. Sculptural objects, set, and costumes by Anna Moser. Photos by Natalia Jaeger. Filming and editing by Tom Varley.
- 27 Aug 2017, 3pm: Performance at Arnolfini, Bristol, with improvised sound by r. karim.
- 7 Jul 2017: Performance of Emilia Galotti’s Colouring Book of Feelings (shortened version) with Erin Robinsong, at Parasol Unit, London.
- 27 Jun 2017: Reading for CB1 Poetry, at CB2 Cafe, Cambridge, 7.30pm
- 25 May 2017: Bedford Room, Royal Holloway, 11 Bedford Square, London, 7.30pm: reading for the Andrea Brady symposium at the ICA, with Andrea Brady and Robert Hampson.
- 9 May 2017, 7.30pm: Reading at Berkeley Books, Paris, with Jocelyn Spaar
- Cité Internationale des Arts, performance of Emilia Galotti’s Colouring Book of Feelings (work in progress), with Jocelyn Spaar, 8 May 2017.
- 4 May 2017: Masterclass for the Oxford Poetry Society, co-taught with Jocelyn Spaar
- 1 May 2017 (Judith E. Wilson Drama Studio): Les Bijoux Indiscrets, or, Paper Tigers, Research & Development Workshop, Cambridge, supported by the Judith E. Wilson Fund. My Little Enlightenment Plays (incl. Don Carlos and Les Bjoux) was long-listed for the Leslie Scalapino Award for Innovative Women Performance Writers.
- 25 Apr 2017: Hi Zero Reading Series, Brighton
- Berl’s, reading for the US launch of Currently & Emotion with Uljana Wolf, and Sophie Collins, 16 Apr 2017, video here.
- Poetry Project, reading with Uljana Wolf and Eugene Ostashevsky, 5 Apr 2017.
- Les Bijoux Indiscrets, or, Paper Tigers, performance, presented by NYPAC, at LaMaMa Galleria. With Corina Copp, Constance DeJong, Lucy Ives, Wendy Lotterman, Sophie Seita, Ada Smailbegovic, Jocelyn Spaar, Bridget Talone, and props by Emmy Catedral. 30 Mar 2017.
- Reading and discussion with Uljana Wolf, at NeMLA, Baltimore, MD (25 Mar 2017)
- Segue Reading Series, Zinc Bar, NYC, with Uljana Wolf, and Lisa Robertson (18 Mar 2017)
- Poetry reading for ‘Entropics‘, a new reading series curated by Sarah Hayden, through the University of Southampton (Feb 2017)
- Reading for One Day Without Us, a national day of action in solidarity with migrants living, working and studying in the UK, at Iklectic (Feb 2017)
- Poetry reading at Queens’ College, Cambridge, Erasmus Room (Jan 2017)
- Les Bijoux Indiscrets, or, Paper Tigers, performance, NYC, Issue Project Room, with Corina Copp, Lucy Ives, Wendy Lotterman, Ada Smailbegovic, Jocelyn Spaar, and Bridget Talone. With props and set design by Emmy Catedral and a special guest-appearance by Cecilia Corrigan (Dec 2016)
- Burley Fisher Books, for the launch of The White Review 18 (Nov 2016)
- Hannah Barry Gallery, London (Oct 2016), for the launch of Test Centre’s innovative translation anthology Currently & Emotion (ed. by Sophie Collins)
- SoundEye, Cork, Ireland (Jul 2016)
- The Wash Bar, Edinburgh (Jun 2016)
- Center for Fiction, New York (May 2016) for the launch of The White Review 16, video recording online here.
- OPR launch, at Cabinet, New York (May 2016)
- PEN Translation Series, at KGB bar (May 2016)
- KGB Bar Monday Night Poetry Reading Series (Apr 2016)
- Goethe Institute New York, reading and conversation with Uljana Wolf on ‘Literature and Migration’ (Mar 2016)
- Ugly Duckling Presse studio (Dec 2015) for an event on multi-lingual writing
- Berl’s Brooklyn Poetry Shop (Oct 2015)
- Philalalia Bookfair (Philadelphia, Sep 2015)
- Saint George’s Bookshop (Berlin, Aug 2015)
- Book Culture, for Cambridge Literary Review, 8/9, launch party (Apr 2015)
- The Multifarious Array, at Pete’s Candy Store/Unnameable Books (Brooklyn, Nov 2014 and Apr 2015)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology Newark (talk and reading, Feb 2015)
- Segue Reading Series (NYC, Jan 2015)
- Unnameable Books, Greetings Reading Series (Brooklyn, Oct 2014)
- WAVEMACHINE, New Haven (Aug 2014)
- SoundEye festival, Cork, Ireland (Jul 2014)
- The Serpentine Gallery (London, May 2014)
- Page Poetry Parlor (NYC, May 2014)
- Princeton (May 2014 and May 2013)
- Buffalo Poetics Program, Rust Belt Books, Buffalo (Nov 2013)
- Judith E. Wilson Drama Studio, Cambridge (Jan 2013)
- and several events in the UK, US, and Germany
- invited two-week residency at The Guesthouse, Cork, Ireland (Jul 2016).
Recently curated readings
- Readings in Cambridge: Corina Copp, Holly Pester, Jèssica Pujol Duran (Nov. 2016), Jocelyn Spaar and Kayo Chingonyi (May 2017), Wendy Lotterman, Caspar Heinemann, Luke McMullan (Jun. 2017)
- Segue Reading Series, with Bridget Talone
2/6 Liz Howard and Lanny Jordan Jackson
2/13 Sandeep Parmar and Cody-Rose Clevidence
2/20 Myung Mi Kim and Joey Yearous-Algozin
2/27 Ian Heames and Kathleen Fraser
3/5 Lisa Jarnot and Lara Mimosa Montes
3/12 Aaron Kunin and Rae Armantrout
3/19 Dawn Lundy Martin and Rosmarie Waldrop
- unAmerican Activities, with Ian Heames and Luke McMullan. Readers included: Susan Howe, Peter Larkin, Abigail Child, Steve McCaffery, Allen Fisher, Wendy Mulford, Peter Manson, Sean Bonney, Lanny Jordan Jackson, Erica Hunt, Julie Patton, Holly Melgard, Wendy Lotterman, Mat Laporte, and many more.
Other past performances and exhibitions
- Paper Dolls, HD video, 3:29mins, collaboration with Anna Moser, New York, Feb 2015.
- Objects I Cannot Touch, commissioned and exhibited at Tactic Gallery Cork for ‘The Avant: Contemporary Arts Festival’, Jul 2014; and at Flying Object, Hadley, MA, for ‘The Royal Portrait Gallery of Hadley’, Mar–Apr 2015; at the launch party for para·text at The Montpelier, London, August 2015, and most recently at Bath Spa University, for MiX, an innovative conference about writing and technology.
- as would (Nov 2012), after (Jul 2013), rare birds (current), in collaboration with Emma Stirling
- as would, screened at Turning to Night, Le Petit Versailles, NYC, Sep 2014, Neue Töne Open, Stuttgart, Nov 2012 and at CineCam Short Film Screening, Cambridge, Nov 2012
- audio recording of ‘just pick a line’ played with live drums by Raphael Sbrzesny at Neue Töne Open, Stuttgart, Nov 2012
OTHER PERFORMANCES & EXHIBITIONS
- ‘Objects I Cannot Touch’ (audio piece), exhibited as part of ‘Monopoles’, an exhibition and series of talks curated by Emma Stirling and Yates Norton, at Ugly Duck, London, 28-30 Oct 2016
- Performance of Don Carlos, or, Royal Jelly, at Company Gallery, with Corina Copp, Josef Kaplan, Lanny Jordan Jackson, Holly Melgard, Luke McMullan, Yates Norton, Jocelyn Spaar, and Emma Stirling. Props by Anna Moser. 22 Apr 2016; fb event here. The play has since been longlisted for the Leslie Scalapino Award for Innovative Women Performance Writers.
- Group exhibit ‘Atmospheres’, Roof Books, 300 Bowery, curated by Emma Stirling and Yates Norton, 19 Apr 2016.
- Extract from Don Carlos, or Royal Jelly, recorded poets theatre piece, exhibited for ‘Set Pieces’, at Dixon Place, NYC, Jun 2014
- Talk between Nudes, staged at Page Poetry Parlor, with Corina Copp, Lanny Jordan Jackson, Anna Moser, Luke McMullan, Yates Norton, and Emma Stirling, Manhattan, Dec 2013
- Talk between Nudes, exhibition with Anna Moser, at Page Poetry Parlor, Dec 2013
- 3,4 performed at Page Poetry Parlor with Lanny Jordan Jackson, and Emma Stirling, Manhattan, 2013
- Performed in Six Steps (by Emma Stirling) at Page Poetry Parlor, Manhattan, May 2013
- Director and choreographer with Emma Stirling, The Music Box (by Emma Stirling), Corpus Playroom, Cambridge, UK, Mar 2012; The Vault, Edinburgh Fringe, Aug 2012